Friday, June 17, 2011

Success!

Another Mid-day update! You know what that means, I've actually been working today!
I've gotten the level and the phase systems working!  Now I know I said I may want to overhaul the phase system in the near future, and I might, but for the moment the base systems of the game are all in place and working.

The next step are developing enemies and levels/patterns that are fun, and doing things like tweaking controls for enjoyability, and crafting a HUD and etc.  This will be the time when David and I begin to get a feel for what makes a fun game, instead of what physically (..or virtually? Hmm...) makes a game.  We are in the process of learning how to take fun and break it down into math, numbers and logic.

If you told me that this is what I would be doing when I "grew up" a few years prior to this, I would have laughed at you.  There is no process for making math fun, or making fun into math in a sure-fire fashion.  A sense of fun will always be something that designers will have to be "born with" and it requires constant refining through trial and error, experimentation and adaptation, but when it all comes down to making the game happen, it's finding the balance between the fun envisioned and developed by the designer, and the logic and programming capabilities of the programmer.

Fun stuff!


Almost as fun as an anteater riding a motorcycle
So, until next time, those are the kind of updates you can be looking forward too!  There will still be plenty of technical fun, don't you worry, I'll still be working with my camera classes and side-projects, so rest assured, anybody who may actually like hearing about the technical side of making games, you will see more of the technical aspect!

TECHNICALITIES!
Back to development!
CHAAAARRRGE!


- Kev

No comments:

Post a Comment