Sunday, May 15, 2011

Holy California, Batman!


As I’m writing this on my computer I’m some-thousand-odd feet above the ground, hopefully flying into Chicago sometime soon.  (As opposed to some other random city, which I would not be okay with)

Kind of like finding a fish in your ham sandwich

There haven’t been any updates because I haven’t worked on the game all weekend, in fact, I haven’t done anything all weekend and it was awesome.  Friday morning at 5:00 (not so bad… until you think it was 5:00 AM) I woke up, threw a few things in a bag and took off to midway airport to fly home for the weekend.   Why?  A few very good friends of mine were testing for their black belt in Tae Kwon Do, and they were there for my test, I wanted to be there for theirs.  I even got to help out on the outside conditioning aspect of the test!   It was really good to catch up with all of my friends at the studio, I miss all of my friends back home and it was good to see as many as I could!  I can safely say that for me it was a blast, I know the candidates had a rough time with conditioning, but they looked excellent when they got back inside the studio for the formal part of the test!  I have no regrets about the money or time spent to go back home, it was well worth every penny, every second and every ounce of non-cafeteria-food consumed.  (There was a lot of that, let me tell you!)
But now I’m flying back into Chicago, with no homework done and no sleep, wishing it could just be summer already and to be out and be free, and be home!  Four more weeks, just have to make it four more weeks..!
My kind of forecast.

Pilot just said Chicago was 44 degrees.  Fantastic, I left in shorts, and I’m coming back needing a parka!

And of course when I finally arrive back DePaul doesn't have the heat on.  Comon' guys, it's cold in here..!  This weather is absolutely nuts.

Anyway, so the game.  I did actually do some more work on the flight this afternoon, but I was so tired and phasing in-and-out of consciousness that it didn't result in a whole lot of visible differences.
Basically I worked on overhauling the movement of the Sprite Object class.  Instead of giving sprite objects a single velocity, I split the velocity into a direction (a vector pointing in any direction with a total magnitude (length) of one, and then a speed that will be multiplied to the  direction to give us a velocity to adjust the SpriteObject position by.
Picture Unrelated
But why would I want to do this?
One pretty important reason.  I realized that with just a velocity it's completely possible to have a zero-velocity, and if I tried to adjust an image's rotation to the radian-measurement of a non-existent velocity ... (hint: there IS no radian measurment!) then things in the game world start getting really, really jenky.

It also helps with seeing what the previous speed and direction of the SpriteObject are, and gives me more precise control of movement, things I couldn't do with just a velocity that changed every step.  The velocity now can be calculated on the fly, and my sprite object will ALWAYS have a direction, even if it isn't moving (if the speed is 0)
This is how I feel after completing a programming task.
That coincidentally made some other aspects of image movement/manipulation easier too.  Yay, right?
Yeah.  I also made some outside adjustments to how I load resources to make image loading easier.  I'll implement those changes tomorrow.

He's gathering "volunteers"
So, yeah, that's it for today.  Nothing too interesting or in-depth, probably because I have slept less than 15 hours in the past 72 hours.  Man, I can't wait for summer.

- Kev

No comments:

Post a Comment