Monday, April 18, 2011

Daily Dedication




Word Reaches Pluto
Well this is the end of day two of "having a blog" so I might as well update this sucker before I head off to bed.  So far I think all of three people have read but that doesn't matter too much!
Oh yes, and...
It works!


The game is up and running!  I know it doesn't look very exciting at the moment, but after three weeks of developing the graphics "capabilities" I want in the game (Including rotation, animation, scaling and pixel-by-pixel collision) it runs!  Soon the game will be in a demo-able stage, and I'm excited for the development!

My job as of now in the game is to work on enemy attack patterns/appearance patterns and to manage the health of the player.  Eventually this sucker will end up on the Windows phone (provided nothing I did was too CPU-intensive!) and the horizontal alignment you can make out in the picture will be vertical.  But I won't divulge much more about the game at the moment.  Rest assured when the time comes I'll be sticking all of my friends in front of this puppy and observing their reactions to the gameplay to see where I need to improve.  If I've learned anything about game development in my design classes, it's that watching a person play your games, uninstructed and unassisted, will give you the most valuable feedback about your game - Is it fun? Is it too easy/hard?  Is this part of the game as obvious as it should be?

If any of my friends are reading this, yes, you will be guinea pigs.  But don't worry, its for the greater good.  Just pretend you are doing science!

Hmm, what else?  Well, I purchased a factory-refurbished Bamboo tablet!  It was cheaper than the $200  version (well out of my price range) but at the same time it was still a pretty penny (around $120) so I'll be starving towards the end of the quarter, but it will be worth it.  I don't know if you can see from the image, but that's all my "artwork" and it looks pretty crappy.  I'm no fantastic artist, but as you might be able to tell I do better with a pen/paper than I do with a computer mouse.  Hopefully getting a tablet will boost my art for my games considerably, at least to the level that my doodles are at!  And no, I don't plan on those being the "final graphics" in my game, that would be too unfortunate.  Those are mostly stand-ins at the moment.

So that was the future of the game, what I need to do in the near future, and what I've done to make it a bit brighter (getting a tablet!)

What else?

Well, my friend and co-conspirator David shaved.  He looks a lot different without a beard, but my main complaint is I wish that I could grow a beard such as he had!  All that bearded goodness and he shaved it.
Nope. Nuthin'
 With that, teh interwebs, I think it's time to bid you adieu!  Stay classy.  Or, you know, not.

-Kev











No comments:

Post a Comment