Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Mini-Jam

Over the next few days I'll be doing a mini-jam, with the limitation that I am only allowed to use one button for the control scheme.

Given the success of Divekick with a two-button mechanic I thought it would be a fun and interesting challenge to limit myself to only one button and see what depth/fun if any I can squeeze out of it.  Plus, Adam ended up adding a whole lot of depth to Divekick with two buttons, and that game took us a good while, granted that was with art and GGPO, etc, but I figured one button would be pragmatic for a short-term game and prevent me from doing what I usually do with games, which is to severely overscope them.

I have the basic run/jump/shoot mechanics down, and the rough outline of the story, as per usual the timesink will most likely be art style and animation.

The story takes place in the daydreams of Freddie, a 4th grader with an overactive imagination and access to netflix at home, while he tries to make it through Spanish class.  The current working name of the game is Uno Mas, a play on the fact you can only use one button.  The story will be told through mostly incomprehensible Spanish, as I do not speak the language and Freddie is a thin allegory for myself at that age. Essentially he doesn't pay attention and instead transports himself into a non-stop action movie all told in a random mixture of Spanish words that sound close enough to Freddie.

The gameplay itself is being narrowed down, but as I said, it's a one-button game.  As per Jetpack Joyride the game is a left-to-right sidescroller, first button causes Freddie to Jump, second causes him to draw his six-shooter, release of the second press causes him to shoot, and subsequent presses will each have their own special effect, to be determined and up to a certain limit (one can only press space so much while a character is in the air)

Art will likely just be my doodles, my only goal with art is to keep the style somewhat consistent and just not-awful.

Well, I got back day and a date tomorrow, so that's all for tonight!  Likely won't get back to this until Thursday night.

Rest well, all!

No comments:

Post a Comment