Tuesday, January 28, 2014

D-D-D-Design work!

Tonight was very light on the tech side. I re-adjusted the PlayerBehavior system to have a "negative Effect" that starts only when the specified behavior is not in use (mostly so I could do some "beginning-to-fall" effects in gravity only after a jump has been released) which should prove to enable some more interesting behaviors down the road!

I banged out a few small art assets, and spent the majority of the night trying to find a way to make jumping and shooting feel good.  I tried doing an additive approach, where jump-speed wasn't gained instantly and extended over time, and gravity took effect over time as well.  I didn't like how that felt, so I tried an "instant-velocity" jump with a speed lerp at the peak of the jump and it's feeling a bit better.  I might continue to tweak it to get the jump just so, since it will be an integral part of the game.  Perhaps a parabolic jump equation? I've used such equations in games before, they're aesthetically pleasing but never end up being just how I want them to be.  I should take a look at Super Meat Boy again, I really like the jump in that game, as a platformer it is without parallel.  I also played around with varying heights of the jump.  Once I identify a scale it will be easier to figure out such matters, though.  Probably that should be a priority of mine.

I think I'm closing in on a feel, threw together a basic run and it got better towards the end of the evening.  Think tomorrow I'll try doing some more art? Not sure yet.  Once I get started on a task you can't stop me, but determining what the flow of those tasks are is the area I have the most difficulty with, especially since I only get 1-3 hour windows with which to work on the game.  Hopefully becoming a more focused and plan-oriented programmer for these side projects can also help me maintain focus at work where external factors all play a role in messing with my flow (meetings, lunch, etc.)

Plan for next  2-hour programming block (hopefully tomorrow night though perhaps not)
-Visualize Score System (score visible, flavor text for destroying targets)
-Player Reset System(currently just destroys self, no-good)
    -Design Stretch goals:
        1) Finalize Scale
        2) Complete minute-long prototype level
        3) Implement "dropping" enemy
    -Art Stretch goals:
        1) Do player run cycle
        2) Do gun aim/shoot cycle
        3) Implement in-unity Animation editor

Night all. Back day tomorrow, still super sore from chest day and Jiu-jistsu. Bleh.

No comments:

Post a Comment