Friday, April 13, 2012

Crunch Mode

So it beings.

The beginning of the end.  The last push, the final battle, down to the wire and everything is on the line.

Well, not yet, but it's getting close to being that time of the year, and my college career.  That wasn't really supposed to rhyme, but for that you can blame David.  For some unbeknownst reason he has the uncanny and awesomely hilarious ability to rhyme in the character of the Lorax.  Yes, the one from the Dr. Suess book.  Some of his friends are a little annoyed by it, but I am under the impression that it's downright hilarious.  I wish I had that kind of quick mind to think of rhymes on the spot.

But there is a very good reason I'm in game design and development and not rapping, or singing, or majoring in math, or science, or business or medicine.  Because I'm not good at all of those other things.

The current stance of the game is interesting.  We are posed to submit to IndieCade to try and garner some attention for this little gem, but there are a bunch of hoops we have to jump through in order to get it submitted.  Same goes for Zombie yoga, we are both pushing for the 15th deadline.  Which is Sunday.

Yikes.

Better get crackin'

That, and on the rest of my homework.   Multiplayer Game Development, which should not be left to the last day, math (yuck) and Graphics, which was taught rather poorly to me and has resulted in a confusing mess.  I think I know what everything should be doing, but that doesn't mean it actually works according to plan.

This is no bueno.

Anyway, the game went through a small playtest on Thursday, and I think it went very well.  We have a lot of good data from the test, but we also have a lot of work to do.  I feel as if no game I ever work on will ever be finished, which is a very scary and discouraging thought.  I've only ever finished one game.  I've started many, but school and technical limitations have stopped the growth of many.  When I taught myself programming, I hit a wall of knowledge and understanding.  Now I'm hitting walls of time, priorities and some technical limitations.  If I just had capstone, this game would be sailing along, but I have to balance this with many other competing factors, I think the end result will just be little to no sleep (it is darn well near two right now) because we want and we need this game to succeed.  It won't bring in cash, and it was never supposed to.  This game is out there to show that we can be innovative, that we can find the fun in anything and extract that and give it back to players in a great package, and that we can make games, and that we are good at it.

I added some things in recently, mostly a lot of playtest tweaks, but some new features such as earthquakes and combo systems.  Brian is working on reducing and restricting the incoming enemy waves.  Justin is working on a new batch of art for the change in story direction that fits our scaled-down version of the game.

Just talking about this makes me nervous now, I feel like I should always be working and never be relaxing anymore, I just can't afford to do something like that.

Man, I can't wait to get back to judo, I really need that back in my life...

SOS.




-Kev

No comments:

Post a Comment