Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Close Enough

Hey everyone (or rather, hey whichever single person decided to read this)

Despite my silence, I've been up to a lot.  Finals are in full swing after this week, I've got a few final projects to finish up, Zombie Yoga is unofficially at GDC and Capstone is... kind-of-sort-of coming along.  I just have one last Kinect tweak before I have it where I want it to be.  It's been like that all quarter, though, it's very discouraging.

One of those days...
I'm not in the mood necessarily for a full update, but a low-down wouldn't hurt.

In the past quarter, I have:

Modified Princess to be based on matrix-transformations for rotation, scale, translation, etc, the usual stuff, it was a long time coming since I first learned about the matrix representations of position and related information, but it made it into the engine.  We've re-worked the system slightly to better deal with destruction/creation (hint: in a managed language, try not to leave too much stuff for the garbage collector, be smart or the collector could cause your program to chug.  We weren't being smart before)

Finite state machines have been implemented, up next would be goal-oriented behavior and fuzzy logic, this is all straight-out-of-the-book stuff from the Game AI class I am taking.  Which, by the way, is a complete flop of a class.  I have never been so uninspired and frustrated by a class.  This is what happens when you take a curious mind and shove it in a class with a time limit, all of the interesting parts of the class are not covered because we "lack the time" and the only assignments we give are maddeningly frustrating because ALL of the base code has already been given, no fundamental understanding of the underlying processes are truly necessary or even gained because half the time I'm wrestling with finicky compiler errors from not having the correct includes, or perhaps because I'm busy trying to re-write all of classes I'm supposed to be deriving from because I want just a tiny bit of the base changed, and the hierarchy of classes is all too reliant on each other down the line to permit simply inheriting into a different class.
End rant about that, however.

Game Jam took place.. wow, almost two months ago!  Going in with friends made all the difference, and while I'm still not completely happy with the product of our game jam, we actually got a small game finished, and had we not had late night version control issues I'm confident our game would have been as polished as any of our competitors.  Regardless, it was a lot of fun making a game with guys that I respect and who's skills continue to impress me and make me strive to better myself.
GO TEAM JAM!

By now I've totally lost my train of thought, so goodnight, and goodluck with whatever challenges may be facing you, as I turn back to face the challenges of uncooperative code, lethargy, and the infamous Microsoft Kinect.  Away!




-Kev

No comments:

Post a Comment